Friday, September 2, 2011

Closing & Hurricane....Never a good combination!

Let me just start this by saying I have been known by many of my closest friends and family to make statements like I love a good hurricane, or I sure hope it comes here! I know, I know what you are thinking...CRAZY...Is this guy out of his mind?  The answer to that question may...no...no WILL depend on who you ask. You may also ask what constitutes a "good" hurricane.  Well, I would definitely say where nobody is hurt or killed, but I also realize that is a tall order. Because we live here on the beautiful Gulf Coast of Florida--you know, warm, sunny beaches, beautiful sunsets and HURRICANES are "all part and parcel of the whole genie gig" (from Aladdin just in case that one slipped by ya). I have lived here long enough to see a huge amount of destruction caused by hurricanes, and yet I still live here.  I will also add here, for all you readers who are now thinking they are just crazy for living in a place you can even have hurricanes, let's just go back a few weeks to our Capital where they had a big earthquake, or Missouri & Oklahoma where they had devastating tornadoes...so, just try to keep in mind that down here I get about a weeks' warning before a hurricane is going to come anywhere near here...not so much on the tornado and earthquake side! I would also like to reference my other post on how to prepare for a hurricane...if you live here, you need to know how to be ready.

The topic we are talking about today is closing your real-estate transaction while there is a storm in the Gulf...not likely going to happen, unless you get this information that I'm offering. You see, if there is a storm in the Gulf, you can't get to the closing table because the insurance companies will not write a policy, or shall we say, start your new policy until the storm is safely past.  So what to do...down here when you have a contract on a house during hurricane season, go ahead and lock your policy in (i.e. pay for it) and then you will be allowed to close. Long story short--seek the help of a good agent to avoid the many pitfalls in real estate--you won't be sorry you did!




 Grace & Peace...

Skip Geiser 
www.SkipGeiser.com 
(850) 221-6442 


No comments:

Post a Comment